The treatments for uterine fibroids are directed toward controlling your symptoms. The goals of treatment are to reduce blood loss and to eliminate symptoms.
Possible approaches include:
- Watching and waiting
- Over-the-counter and/or prescription medications
- Measures to reduce excessive bleeding
- Treatments for anemia
- Procedures to destroy or remove the uterine fibroids
- Removal of the entire uterus (only in the most severe cases and when pregnancy is no longer desired)
No one treatment option is best for all women. Many factors influence which choice is right for you including:
- Medical history
- Number and location of fibroids
If you have fibroids, talk to your doctor about the different options available. Make sure to weigh all the risks and benefits of each treatment before making your decision.
Treatment involves:Lifestyle changesMedicationsSurgery
- Reviewer: Andrea Chisholm, MD
- Review Date: 12/2014 -
- Update Date: 12/20/2014 -