Treatment of arrhythmias depends on the type and seriousness of the particular rhythm disturbance. For example:
- Medications are most often used in tachyarrhythmias (fast heart rates).
- Electrical conversion is used for life-threatening irregular rhythms.
- Pacemakers are used most frequently for bradyarrhythmias (slow heart rates).
Treatment aims to maintain the heart's ability to pump blood efficiently.
Treatment involves the following:Lifestyle changesMedicationsSurgeryOther treatments
- Reviewer: Michael J. Fucci, DO
- Review Date: 09/2012 -
- Update Date: 00/91/2012 -