The following lifestyle changes may help you manage fibromyalgia.
Exercise is perhaps the most effective way to improve fibromyalgia symptoms. Benefits include:
- Prevention of muscle atrophy
- Reduction in muscle stiffness
- Reduction of pain and fatigue
- Improved sense of well-being
- Increased flexibility
Your exercise program should begin with mild activity and gradually increase over time. Try to incorporate different types of exercise, like:
- Aerobic activity
- Strength training
- Flexibility exercises
Exercising in a heated pool may offer benefits. In one small study, researchers found that people with fibromyalgia who participated in aquatic training in warm water (strength, aerobic, and relaxation exercises) reported an improvement in symptoms.
- Reviewer: Rimas Lukas, MD; Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 08/2013 -
- Update Date: 05/11/2013 -