There is no known cure for schizophrenia , but it is treatable. Treatment approaches are chosen based on their ability to reduce the symptoms of schizophrenia and the chances it will reoccur.
Different treatment approaches for schizophrenia include:
- Possible hospitalization during severe episodes
- Medications to control psychosis and conditions that occur with it
- Psychosocial treatments to improve psychological, social, and occupational problems
- Education and support for families of people with schizophrenia
Treatment involves the following:Lifestyle changesMedicationsOther treatments
At this time, surgical procedures are not a treatment option for schizophrenia.
- Reviewer: Rimas Lukas, MD
- Review Date: 11/2012 -
- Update Date: 11/26/2012 -