Aseptic Necrosis of the Hip
(Osteonecrosis; Avascular Necrosis; Ischemic Necrosis; Osteochondritis Dissecans)
|The Hip Joint|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Femoral neck fractures
- Hip trauma
- Dislocation of the hip
- Radiation therapy
- Prolonged or repeated use of cortisone-like drugs
- Decompression sickness
- Sickle cell disease
- Gaucher disease
- Cushing disease
- Excessive alcohol use
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) —especially if SLE is being treated with corticosteroids
- Chronic renal failure or renal transplantation
- HIV infection
- Groin pain, especially with weight-bearing actions
- Hip pain or limited hip motion
- Buttock, thigh, and knee pain
- Minimize the dose and duration of cortisone-like drugs
- Avoid decompression disease when diving underwater
Johns Hopkins University Medical School http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org
Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center http://www.pennstatehershey.org
Abeles M, Urman JD, Rothfield NF. Aseptic necrosis of bone in systemic lupus erythematosus. Relationship to glucocorticoid therapy. Arch Intern Med . 1978;138:750.
Agarwala S, Jain D, Joshi VR, Sule A. Efficacy of alendronate, a bisphosphonate, in the treatment of AVN of the hip. A prospective open-label study. Rheumatology (Oxford) . 2005;44:352.
Osteonecrosis of the hip in adults. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php . Accessed January 16, 2013. Accessed May 3, 2013.
Avascular necrosis. The Merck Manual . 17th ed. West Point, PA: Merck and Co; 1999.
Martin K, Lawson-Ayayi S, Miremont-Salame G, et al. Symptomatic bone disorders in HIV-infected patients: incidence in the Aquitaine cohort (1999-2002). HIV Med . 2004;5:421.
Matsuo K, Hirohata T, Sugioka Y, et al. Influence of alcohol intake, cigarette smoking, and occupational status on idiopathic osteonecrosis of the femoral head. Clin Orthop . 1988;234:115.
Metselaar HJ, van Steenberge EJ, Bijnen AB. Incidence of osteonecrosis after renal transplantation. Acta Orthop Scand . 1985;56:413.