|The Lungs (Cut-away View)|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Have AIDS
- Have cancer
- Are getting treatment for cancer
- Shortness of breath
- Dry cough
- Tightness in the chest
- A vapor treatment to make you cough
- A bronchoscopy —an instrument is inserted into your airway
- Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TMP-SMZ, Bactrim, Septra, Cotrim)—available in pill and liquid forms
- Dapsone plus trimethoprim
- Primaquine plus clindamycin
- Pentamidine (given by IV)
- Trimetrexate plus folinic acid
- Corticosteroids: given in severe cases when blood oxygen pressure falls below a certain level
- Pentamidine aerosol
AIDS Treatment Data Network http://www.atdn.org
CDC National Prevention Information Network http://www.cdcnpin.org
HIV/AIDS Centers for Disease Control and Prevention http://www.cdc.gov/hiv
National Center for Infectious Diseases http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases National Institutes of Health http://www.niaid.nih.gov
Canadian Health Network http://www.canadian-health-network.ca
Canadian HIV/AIDS Information Centre http://www.cpha.ca/
The Lung Association http://www.lung.ca/
Beers MH, Fletcher AJ, Jones TV, et al. The Merck Manual of Medical Information . Second Home Edition. Merck Research Laboratories: Whitehouse Station, NJ; 2003.
Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia. Dynamed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php . Accessed September 19, 2005.
Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia (PCP) and HIV. American Academy of Family Physicians website. Available at: http://www.familydoctor.org/475.xml . Accessed September 19, 2005.
Pneumocystis pneumonia (PCP). Fact Sheet Number 515. AIDS InfoNet website. Available at: http://www.aidsinfonet.org . Accessed September 19, 2005.
Preventing PCP. AIDS Treatment Data Network website. Available at: http://www.atdn.org/simple/pcp/html . Accessed September 19, 2005.
You can prevent PCP: a guide for people with HIV infection. CDC: National Center for HIV, STD, and TB Prevention website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv . Accessed September 19, 2005.
- Reviewer: Tajender S. Vasu, MD
- Update Date: 09/01/2011 -