More than any single trait, it is the Burn Center’s emphasis on research and technology that sets us apart. In addition to providing patients with the most advanced burn care solutions available, our focus keeps us at the top of research and development company lists when new product sites are being selected. The size of our patient population alone makes us a desirable location to conduct drug trials. For the past few years, our burn team has been among the largest group of presenters at both regional and national professional meetings. More importantly, the knowledge we glean today improves the quality of treatment and care we deliver tomorrow.
The Joseph M. Still Research Foundation, Inc. is a not-for-profit, private organization affiliated with the Joseph M. Still Burn Center created with the following purposes:
- To develop clinical research to improve the care of burn patients
- To develop educational programs for members of the Burn and Wound Team
- To provide assistance and teaching in burn care to under-developed countries, in response to burn disasters in particular
- To disseminate new knowledge in epidemiology and management of burn-associated injuries and wounds
Past research and technology studies include:
- Clinical trials evaluating drugs and medical devices in Phases II, III, and IV to determine safety and efficacy;
- Clinical trials evaluating anti-infectives, renal, pulmonary and skin medications;
- Clinical trials evaluating the use of skin substitutes to treat burn injuries and its sequelae;
- Clinical trials evaluating different patient beds and other medical devices to determine efficacy.
For more information about research studies at the Joseph M. Still Burn Center, email Charlie Williams or reach out through the information listed below.
Joseph M. Still Research Foundation, Inc.
- Chairman/Board Member - Robert F. Mullins, M.D.
- Co-Chairman/Board Member - Zaheed Hassan, M.D.
- CEO - Carlos Blanco, M.D.
- COO - M. Anwarul Mian, M.D., Ph.D., M.P.H.
- President/Board Member - Bruce Friedman, M.D.
- Board Member - Claus Brandigi, M.D.
- Board Member - Paul Dunbar, Atty.
- Board Member - Robert Osborne
- Board Member - Charles Broome
- Board Member - Charles Gertler, PA-C
- Treasurer - Day Harrison
- Secretary - Susan Bennett
- Manager, Clinical Research - Charlie H. Williams, BS, MHA
- Clinical Research Coordinator - Rhonda Poole, RN, BSN
- Research Assistant - Badrul Alam, MBBS
Dr. Joseph M. Still (1938-2006), an Augusta, GA surgeon, was a pioneering physician in the area of burn care and treatment and was instrumental in the creation and development of what has become a 70 bed critical care unit at Doctors Hospital of Augusta (“Doctors Hospital”) that is ceremonially named in his honor, i.e. the “Joseph M. Still Burn Center at Doctors Hospital of Augusta” (herein the “Hospital Burn Center”). The Hospital Burn Center is dedicated to the care and treatment of patients with burn and related injuries. The Hospital Burn Center is owned and operated as a medical unit or patient wing of Doctors Hospital by Doctors Hospital of Augusta, LLC, a Delaware Limited Liability Company. Doctors Hospital of Augusta only does business in the State of Georgia.
Similarly, a medical practice located in Augusta, GA adjacent to Doctors Hospital also bears Dr. Still’s name and is known as “Joseph M. Still Burn Centers, Inc.” The physicians that practice medicine through this medical practice also service the medical needs of patients treated at the Hospital Burn Center. The medical practice known as “Joseph M. Still Burn Centers, Inc.” is a Georgia for profit corporation having practice locations in not only Augusta, GA, but also in Austell, GA (at Wellstar Cobb Hospital), N. Charleston, SC (at Trident Medical Center), and Brandon, MS (at Crossgates River Oaks Hospital). The physician’s clinical practice locations at these other hospitals, as well as any burn care and treatment provided by any of these other hospitals, is completely unrelated to Doctors Hospital and Doctors Hospital has no interest in these Austell, GA, Charleston, SC and Brandon, MS locations and the clinics, medical practices or burn care treatment that is provided therein. Doctors Hospital does not do business in either South Carolina or Mississippi.
Doctors Hospital of Augusta, LLC. and the Joseph M. Still Burn Centers, Inc. are unrelated legal entities. Doctors Hospital has no legal interest in the ownership and/or operation of the medical practice known as “Joseph M. Still Burn Centers, Inc.” Patients who are treated at the Hospital Burn Center in Augusta, GA will receive a bill for hospital services from Doctors Hospital of Augusta and, if treated by the physicians that practice through Joseph M. Still Burn Centers, Inc., a separate bill from Joseph M. Still Burn Centers, Inc., the physicians’ practice.