Recognizing that lung cancer often demands more complex treatments than other forms of cancer, the Lung Cancer Center at Doctors Hospital now offers a continuum of care within a highly integrated health care delivery network.
- Team Approach
- Low-Cost CT Lung Screening Program
- Lung Stat Clinic
- Advanced Technology & Minimally Invasive Treatments
- Support Services
- Clinical Trials
- Additional Information
The specialists at the Lung Cancer Center at Doctors Hospital recognize that lung cancer often demands more complex treatments than other types of cancer. Our experts work together to rapidly diagnose lung tumors and develop a personalized treatment plan—so the fight against cancer can begin immediately. Using the most advanced technology available today, even patients who have advanced stage cancer and have received previous cancer treatment without cure can experience a better quality of life with relief from symptoms like difficulty breathing, coughing, and pain.
Members of this highly skilled team are experts in the fields of:
- Interventional Pulmonology
- Thoracic Surgery
- Medical Oncology
- Radiation Oncology
- Respiratory Therapy
Low-Cost CT Lung Screening Program
Lung cancer found in its early stages is highly survivable. But because early lung cancer often doesn’t have any symptoms, it frequently goes undetected until it’s almost untreatable. That’s why Doctors Hospital offers a low-cost CT lung cancer screening. It’s a non-invasive, painless test that takes just a few minutes. If you are covered by Medicare, and have a referral from your Primary Care Physician, this is a covered screening. If you are not on Medicare, the CT costs $185—a small price to pay for peace of mind. If you are at least 50 years old and would like to find out if you meet criteria for this screening call (706) 651-4343.
Lung Stat Clinic
The Lung Cancer Center at Doctors Hospital is the leader in the region for the treatment of lung cancer. We recognize that time is of the essence when a suspicious spot is discovered on the lung. Therefore, we pledge to get patients in-stat, to see a top specialist within two business days of referral, so that rapid diagnosis and treatment planning can begin. For more information about the Lung Stat Clinic or to make a referral, please call (706) 651-LUNG (5864).
Advanced Technology & Minimally Invasive Treatments
The Lung Cancer Center offers a variety of state-of-the-art diagnostic equipment for detection and diagnosis of event the smallest lung tumors:
- CT, MRI, and PET/CT
- EBUS Endoscopic Ultrasound
- Needle or Surgical Biopsies
- SuperDimension Electromagnetic Bronchoscopy—This tool, called the superDimension iLogic System, uses GPS-like technology to create a 3D virtual “roadmap” to the suspicious spot so that it can be safely and less invasively biopsied to ensure accurate diagnosis. If the area is determined to be cancerous, radiological markers can be placed around the tumor to enhance precision when aiming high doses of radiation at the spot. This helps to preserve healthy lung tissue while destroying the tumor. This minimally invasive procedure is performed on an outpatient basis.
Watch Wayne’s story about why he chose to have the Super Dimension procedure.
Once a diagnosis has been made, our specialists use leading edge diagnostic technologies and treatments to cure or manage the disease including:
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery or External Beam Radiation
- Minimally Invasive daVinci® Robotic Surgery
- Conventional Surgery with smaller incisions
- Laser Bronchoscopy
- Airway Stenting & Brachytherapy
A diagnosis of cancer can be both scary and overwhelming. For many, just hearing the word unleashes a host of questions and concerns. Thanks to our Cancer Care Navigator, patients and family members are just one call away from the information and resources needed to guide them through the complex maze of cancer care. In addition to providing valuable information, the Navigator can make connections with social workers, financial counselors, support groups, and community resources such as transportation and prescription drug assistance, if needed.
Patients may be eligible for treatment with new or investigational chemotherapy or targeted molecular treatments through clinical trials. Our Medical Oncologists are involved in ongoing research intended to refine current treatment methodologies and discover new options for the management of lung cancer.