Comprehensive care in our labor and delivery unit
Doctors Hospital of Augusta is home to the Clyde A. Burgamy Center for Women, where we provide family-centered maternity care in the CSRA. Mothers receive an unforgettable childbirth experience when they choose our hospital, and we are excited to be a part of helping you grow your family.
You can be confident in the care you receive in our maternity ward. Our services include a maternal-fetal medicine program for women with high-risk pregnancies and an on-site neonatal intensive care unit (NICU), should your child require any extra attention following birth.
Prenatal and childbirth classes help teach you about the stages of pregnancy and what to expect during childbirth and after. Birthing classes are an important part of preparing you to have a baby. At Doctors Hospital, these classes are free and in-person. Sign up online to attend.
For a referral to an OB/GYN at Doctors Hospital, please call our Consult-A-Nurse team at (706) 651-4343.
Doctors Hospital of Augusta is one of the only Baby-Friendly hospitals in Georgia, as designated by Baby-Friendly USA. This demonstrates our commitment to successful breastfeeding and best practices in infant feeding.
COVID-19 and pregnancy - an update for our patients
We would like to take this opportunity to update you about your maternity care during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, and assure you that our dedicated team of expert nurses, physicians and midwives are committed to providing safe and effective care to every patient who walks through our doors.
Features of our maternity care
Our maternity care includes a wide range of services and benefits to make your stay with us safe and comfortable. When you have your baby at Doctors Hospital, you have access to:
- 24-hour anesthesia coverage
- 29 private labor and delivery rooms
- Birth announcement ribbon posted on each mother's door
- Breastfeeding assistance from board-certified lactation consultants and certified lactation counselors
- Couplet care where mother and baby share a room and are cared for by a mother-baby nurse
- Daily quiet time for mom and baby to promote rest and bonding
- Fetal monitoring certified staff (all physicians and nurses)
- First Tune Lullaby played to announce each baby's birth throughout the hospital
- Free childbirth classes accessible throughout pregnancy
- Labor support options
- Level II NICU for babies needing extra attention after birth
- Maternal-fetal medicine for high-risk pregnancies
- Operating room (OR) suites within the women's unit for cesarean deliveries
- Professional baby photos available
- Remote fetal monitoring available for physicians
- State-of-the-art infant security system and locked unit
Medical research continually proves the benefits associated with breastfeeding for mother and baby. While breastfeeding may be difficult at first, it becomes a healthy, natural bonding experience between mothers and their babies. We are committed to helping every new mother in our care get the best start to breastfeeding possible.
Our entire labor and delivery nursing staff is trained in breastfeeding support, and our staff includes board-certified lactation consultants and certified lactation counselors. We offer a breastfeeding class to help prepare moms and their partners for breastfeeding where we discuss:
- Answers to common breastfeeding problems
- Basics of positioning, latching and milk supply
- How the body responds to breastfeeding
- Identifying normal newborn behaviors
- The do's and don'ts for breastfeeding success
Register for breastfeeding class
Join the Cradle Club
We offer free childbirth and parenting classes as part of our Cradle Club. These courses are designed to meet the educational needs of expectant parents and their families before labor, during birth and beyond the hospital stay.
To register for pregnancy and childbirth classes, please call us at (706) 651-2229.
Our full list of classes includes:
Ready & Able (26 to 35 weeks)
This two-week childbirth series provides evidence-based information to help prepare our families for the birth experience they want, whether that is a medicated birth, natural birth or possible cesarean section. A Lamaze Certified Childbirth Educator (LCCE) provides evidence-based information to help prepare our families for the birth experience they want, whether that is a medicated birth, natural birth or a possible cesarean section. Topics discussed include:
- Comfort techniques used in labor
- Common discomforts of pregnancy
- Medication and epidurals
- Process of labor and delivery
- Relaxation and breathing techniques
- Signs and symptoms of preterm labor
Please bring pillows and a blanket to class. Wear comfortable clothing to practice comfort measures.
Short & Sweet (26 to 35 weeks)
A two-day weekend class covering discomforts of pregnancy, the process of labor and delivery, comfort techniques used in labor, medication/epidurals, relaxation and breathing techniques. This class includes valuable information even if mom intends to use an epidural for labor and birth. Partners are strongly encouraged to attend.
Baby 101 (20 to 26 weeks)
Infants don’t come with instructions, but this class will equip new parents with knowledge about infant development and guidance around infant care. Topics include:
- Normal newborn appearance and behavior
Bumps, Babies and Bruises (20 to 26 weeks)
This class is recommended for parents as well as family and friends. Infant CPR, as taught by the American Heart Association, is discussed and hands-on skills are practiced. Infant safety issues are also covered.
Big Brother/Big Sister (26 to 35 weeks)
Becoming a big brother or big sister is a big event. This class offers fun, educational and interactive activities so your children will be prepared to welcome your new baby.
Center for Women Tour (26 to 35 weeks)
Tour the Center for Women to see our beautiful, private maternity rooms. You will also learn about our family-centered maternity care program and how we will care for you and your baby together, as a couplet. Tours are also provided in our Ready & Able series and the Short & Sweet weekend class.
Labor and delivery locations
Retrieving location data...